Monday, August 13, 2012

field of heather

Do you know where the name Heather comes from?  A flower.  A tiny purple flower also known as Lavender.  When I was young, I hated the fact that I was named after an insignificant tiny flower while my older sister, Lindsay, had a name that meant "god-like."


It's funny, really.  Now I realize how dead-on my brother was when naming me (yes, my 8-year-old brother named me.  i was kid number 6 so my parents were lax on the whole naming the baby thing).  I'm slightly obsessed with gardens.  If I didn't major in music, I would have gone into landscape architecture.  When I was young I wanted to be the girl in The Secret Garden more than anything and my high school friends called me a hippy.  Unfortunately, growing up also means you get this new stick that you have to shove up your butt (pardon the language) so I'm not quite the "hippy" I once was, but there's still a little song-writing space case in here somewhere.

Yes.  I am a flower.  I am small.  Alone, I may not seem that impressive.  But I am me and I am important.  With all the other flowers in the field, I can be quite a sight.  This makes me think of the people I am surrounded with.  They build me up and make me who I truly am.  For as God said, it is not good for man to be alone.



1 comments:

Lindsay Anne August 27, 2012 at 11:33 AM  

haha heather...I don't know where you got that my name means "god-like." The only meaning I've ever seen is "One who is from Linden tree Island" or something like that. Ive been google searching for 15 minutes and still haven't found anything remotely close to "god-like." Thats ok though. :)